Every other week we spotlight an OMSCS TA, so you can get to know who's behind the screen. Here are four questions for Devanshee Shah who TAs CS 6476: Computer Vision.
What do you do professionally?
I am a final year as an MSCS student at Georgia Tech and currently a TA for CS6476 - Computer Vision class. I was an OMSCS student last year when I took this course and now an MSCS student TA-ing this course! I have experienced both on-campus and off-campus student lives!
Why do you TA for OMSCS?
When I was an OMSCS student, I was doing it with my full-time job so I have actually passed through various hurdles and closely understand the burdens of studying and working together. I got wonderful support and help from my TAs at that time, so this way I can give back to the other students!
What's your advice for future students in OMSCS?
I would strongly advise :
- Form a virtual study groups on Slack so you can discuss and understand difficult topics with other students.
- For assignments, try a couple of times on your own first.
- Communicate with TAs and instructors if you get stuck anywhere. Piazza is a blessing.
- Start on projects ahead of time, and do not worry about grades.
- Sometimes you might find the course load exhausting and feel like giving up, but keep faith in your abilities and make the most out of this opportunity. There is a famous saying: It always seems impossible until it’s done.
What's your favorite memory from your time in or working with OMSCS so far?
When I was pursuing OMSCS, the transit time between office and home was about two hours and I could not waste such precious time. So I started watching video lectures and solving assignment problems while commuting. I thoroughly enjoyed it and continued this for the entire year!